Thursday, May 22, 2008

grad school and a new job...

For the past couple years I have been thinking that I wanted to go to grad school someday shortly after graduating with my bachelors degree. My problem was that I didn't know what I wanted to do exactly. So, I told myself that I wasn't going to apply until I made the decision of what I wanted to do. The programs I was considering were: teaching, social work, or counseling. All three of them sounded great to me and didn't know which one the Lord was leaning me towards. So, after writing down the pros and cons of each one and really praying about it over the last 2 or so years, I decided on counseling. Counseling just felt so good to me. Not only can I make a lot of money doing it and have a flexible schedule, but I love helping people when they feel like they have no where to go.
I went to counseling while I was a student at Bethel and I felt that it really helped me out and I look back at that experience and think about what my life might be like if I hadn't gone to counseling. That right there gives me more inspiration than anything else of why I want to do this.
So, needless to say, yesterday I clicked "SUBMIT" and applied for graduate school at the University of Arkansas. Today I called John Brown and Bethel and had them send copies of my transcripts to the U of A and once they get them, they will send me a letter in a mail letting me know if I am in or not. Once I'm in (if I get in) then I have to apply to the counseling program. So, prayers are much appreciated at this point and if all goes well, starting this fall I will officially be a grad student.

I'm also in the process of looking for a new job. Not that I don't like my job here at the CAC or anything but I am really wanting something that is less stressful, closer to home...and something I can do from home a couple days a week would be a plus. So, I am hoping to get a job at our church in the Children's Ministry. My degree is in Children and Family Ministry and I would love to be able to use my degree....the one that I never thought I would get....the one that I worked so hard to get! So, prayers are appreciated for that as well.

On a much sadder note:
I found out last night that a close family friend of mine was diagnosed with Stage 4 Liver and Lung Cancer. She is meeting with the Oncologist on Tuesday to talk about her options. My heart breaks for this family. I know what it feels like to watch someone you love so much have to struggle and be in pain. All I can ask is Why, God? I know that God lets bad things happen to Good people because there is sin the world, but why does it always seem to happen right when other bad things are happening in our lives also? I do know that I will never understand all the whys in life until I am face to face with him...and that is just something I am going to have to deal with.

No comments: